സംഗീതസംഗമം
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» IPL PREDICTIONS!!
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Ammu Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:06 pm

» ലളിത ഗാനങ്ങള്‍
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby drajayan Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:10 pm

» Snehatheeram - 108
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Rajii Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:31 pm

» ബിഗ്‌ ബോസ്സ് 2!
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby shamsheershah Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:21 pm

» സിനിമാ അവലോകനങ്ങള്‍-2
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby binjo Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:23 pm

» ചാനല്‍ പുരാണങ്ങള്‍ !!-7
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby sandeep Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:57 pm

» Modiyum Velluvilikalum-11
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Ammu Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:22 pm

» WC Prediction-( No chat)
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby shamsheershah Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:56 pm

» വെളുത്തുള്ളി അച്ചാർ
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Ann1 Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:02 pm

» വെളുത്തുള്ളി അച്ചാർ
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Ann1 Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:01 pm

» പ്രളയക്കെടുതിക്ക്‌ ശേഷം അ
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Ann1 Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:00 pm

» കൃഷി / പൂന്തോട്ടം
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Ann1 Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:49 am

» വണ്ണം കുറയ്ക്കാന്‍
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Ann1 Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:13 am

» Easy Recipes
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Ann1 Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 am

» Beauty Tips
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Ann1 Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:18 pm

» FILM News, Discussion(6)
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby midhun Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:26 pm

» ഇപ്പോള്‍കേള്‍ക്കുന്ന ഗാനം
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Parthan Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:41 pm

» Malayalam Rare Karaokes
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Binu Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:23 pm

» കരോക്കെ ഗാനങ്ങള്‍
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby tojosecsb Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:32 pm

» അമ്മമാര്‍ അറിയുവാന്‍ !
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Emptyby Minnoos Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:31 pm

social buttons
Top posters
parutty
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Vote_lcapWoman spots baby’s eye cancer online Voting_barWoman spots baby’s eye cancer online Vote_rcap 
Ammu
Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Vote_lcapWoman spots baby’s eye cancer online Voting_barWoman spots baby’s eye cancer online Vote_rcap 
vipinraj
sandeep
shamsheershah
Neelu
Binu
unnikmp
midhun
Greeeeeshma
Top posting users this month
No user
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Empty
PostSubject: Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online   Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 12:12 pm

It wasn’t easy for Madeleine Robb to send an e-mail to another mom warning that her baby might have a deadly form of eye cancer. But she’s glad she did it — and so is the mother of 1-year-old Rowan Santos.

“I didn’t want to scare her,” Robb told TODAY co-host Meredith Vieira from London on Thursday. “But then I weighed out the options. If something wasn’t wrong, then no real harm was done. If something was wrong, I really had no option, so obviously I had to tell her.”

Just hours after reading the e-mail, Megan Santos of Riverview, Fla., learned from a doctor that Rowan has a potentially deadly form of childhood cancer called retinoblastoma.

Although Rowan will, unfortunately, lose her left eye, Megan Santos has called Robb, who hails from England, a “hero,” because the online diagnosis may have saved her baby’s life.

The two moms, who each gave birth to a daughter on the same day, spoke for the first time on the phone on Wednesday. But it was a newer form of communication, the Internet, that provided the vital information and the lifesaving link.

Crucial correspondence
Santos and Robb first met online through chat on a pregnancy Web site, BabyFit.com, when they were both expecting. Their respective daughters, Rowan Santos and Lileth Robb, were born on the same day last August, spurring a continuing friendship through regular e-mails and photo-sharing.

When Santos posted a photo of 1-year-old Rowan on the Web site, her friend across the Atlantic noticed a white shadow in the baby’s left eye.

Robb, a 32-year-old business analyst with no medical training, found the image curious, so she did some research on the Web. She learned that the white area could be a symptom of an eye cancer called retinoblastoma.

Though it was the first time she’d ever seen the symptom, Robb explained, “I’d seen a news article here in the U.K a few years ago, something similar, and it just sparked a memory of that. Also, the word ‘cancer’ sprang to mind with the same memory. So obviously I was quite concerned and just decided to do more research.”

From her home in Stretford, England, Robb sent a concerned e-mail to Santos. Immediately, Santos made an appointment with Rowan's doctor. The next day, Aug. 8, she was referred to an ophthalmologist. A series of tests revealed Rowan did have a cancerous tumor growing on her retina.

Rowan will lose the eye sometime this winter, and there are rounds of chemotherapy ahead. But Santos has nothing but gratitude for the e-mail warning she believes saved her daughter’s life.

“Grateful cannot even begin to describe how we feel toward Maddie,” Santos told the U.K.’s Daily Mail. “Do I consider Madeleine our hero? Most certainly. If she hadn't sent that e-mail, Rowan's prognosis wouldn't be as good as it is.”

But Robb was self-effacing about the “hero” moniker. “I suppose if that’s how they feel, then that’s what I am to them,” she told Vieira. “I think anybody in my situation would have done the same thing, if they had known what I knew and had the opportunity to say it.

“I suppose I’m a hero in a certain sense, but in another sense, I think I’m rather normal and I care about people.”

Disease and treatment
Retinoblastoma is a cancer of the retina that can affect one or both eyes. If not caught in time, it can spread. The disease can start in the womb, but can affect children up to age 5.

“It’s a rare tumor,” NBC chief medical editor Dr. Nancy Snyderman told Vieira following the interview with Robb. “It usually happens in infancy or early childhood, and doctors precisely look in a baby’s eye with that light looking for a certain kind of reflection. When that reflection is abnormal, it raises the risk of whether this type of tumor is there.

“That white reflection you see in the baby’s eye is sometimes picked up just on routine photography — in this case, a Web picture. But what you hope is that doctors will see it internally before it gets to this stage.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online   Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Back to top Go down
The Sorcerer
Forum Owner
Forum Owner
The Sorcerer

PostSubject: Re: Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online   Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 12:21 pm

quick diagnosis cud save the baby's life & so luck prevailed on time..
thanks for sharing article, sw
Back to top Go down
sandeep
Forum Boss
Forum Boss
sandeep

PostSubject: Re: Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online   Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online 550239 sw
Retinoblastoma Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online 550205
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online   Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 1:05 pm

The Sorcerer wrote:

it is an old incident sorcerer but that is what internet can do
Back to top Go down
The Sorcerer
Forum Owner
Forum Owner
The Sorcerer

PostSubject: Re: Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online   Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Sweetword wrote:
The Sorcerer wrote:

it is an old incident sorcerer but that is what internet can do

yup! they have started campaign in facebook longtime for awareness.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online   Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online Empty

Back to top Go down

Woman spots baby’s eye cancer online
Page 1 of 1